Tuesday, July 16, 2013

The Beginning

The Mighty Blackstone! In 1966 I took a summer job in Rutland, Massachusetts. In 2011 I moved to Central Falls, Rhode Island. What connects those two locations? The Blackstone River. Rutland is the northernmost watershed of the Blackstone, and Central Falls is the penultimate city through which the Blackstone flows. Pawtucket gets the credit for being the end (after the falls at Slater Mill the Blackstone becomes tidal). And Pawtucket gets all the credit for the industrial revolution in the US (Slater Mill) even though the chocolate mill in Central Falls preceded it. The Blackstone has flowed through my life so many places! Rutland, Worcester, Grafton, Uxbridge, Cumberland, Central Falls. And yet I have taken many paths (streams?) that have taken me to other places. This blog is a tribute to the Blackstone, its role in my life, and my travels near and far. I’ve blogged before, but things have changed, so this will be a learning experience for me. Adding photographs, and text, and links, will all take some time; be patient! To begin, we start with a trip away. On Sunday, we fly to El Salvador, for a two year position at Escuela Americana (both of us). We’re packing, so stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Great start to your blog. I am looking forward to living an El Salvador life vicariously through your writing. No pressure but you better not let me down :-)

    ReplyDelete